Watford 3-3 Burnley- Match Report

Vokes stuns Hornets

Sam Vokes hit a last-gasp equaliser to deny Watford the chance to go second in the npower Championship following a 3-3 draw at home to Burnley.

The Burnley striker, on as a 79th-minute substitute, struck three minutes into stoppage time as Sean Dyche enjoyed a happy return to Vicarage Road.

Dyche insisted there were no hard feelings despite being replaced by Gianfranco Zola as Hornets boss in the summer but he did his best to derail his old club's bid to reach the Premier League.

In fact, the warm reception he received from the home fans had barely died down when his Burnley side took the lead after just 39 seconds.

Charlie Austin got that one and went on to make it 28 for the season from the penalty spot after Troy Deeney had equalised.

But Fernando Forestieri levelled again at the end of a crazy first half hour and then fired Watford ahead after the break.

However, Vokes had the final say with his dramatic leveller as Burnley snatched a point.

Austin's early opener came when Ross Wallace's initial shot was blocked, the ball falling perfectly for the striker to tuck in the rebound.

The lead lasted only five minutes, however, before Ikechi Anya fed Deeney, who curled in a fine equaliser from the edge of the area.

Clarets keeper Lee Grant then pulled off a fine save to deny Forestieri before Austin struck again in the 24th minute.

Marco Cassetti tripped former Hornets loanee Alex Kacaniklic and Austin crashed his penalty down the middle and into the roof of the net.

But once again Burnley let their lead slip within five minutes, this time with centre-half Fitz Hall the unlikely creator.

Hall's clever pass played in Forestieri, who jinked inside Jason Shackell in the area before rifling his angled shot past Grant.

There were no more goals in the first half but it was not for the want of trying on either side.Austin fired wide as he went in search of a hat-trick while Wallace's free-kick flew narrowly over.

For Watford, Grant saved from Deeney and Anya drove the rebound wide, before Deeney's stoppage-time lob beat Grant but not the bar.

Deeney had his chances after the break as well, the striker inches from prodding Nathaniel Chalobah's low cross into an open goal, before his header was saved by Grant.

But Forestieri found a way through in the 72nd minute when he curled in a cross from Cristian Battochio.

That looked like being enough to ensure Watford leapfrogged Hull into the automatic promotion places, until Vokes latched on to Austian's header in injury time and slotted in the equaliser.

Source: PA

Source: PA